Time Zone Background
Timezone information can be changed in two places, on the device and on the server.
On the mobile device, users will see the time in the device's settings, which normally defines local time zone.
On the server, admin can set the time zone under Company tab, Company Info section. Changing the time zone on the server will not affect the time users see on mobile devices.
- Time Zone under Company Info on the server is set to London (GMT).
- User A collects data in New York (Eastern Standard Time - EST).
- User B collects data in San Francisco (Pacific Standard Time - PST).
- The time is 1:11 AM 4/25/19 EST. Which is 5:11 AM 4/25/19 GMT and 10:11 PM 4/24/19 PST.
- We assume the time difference between New York and London is 4 hours.
Date element and Time element
Based on the example scenario above, both users tap the "Today" button to capture the current date. (And they can also tap "Now" button to capture the current time.)
User A in New York would capture 4/25/2019 as the date, while user B in San Francisco would capture 4/24/2019.
Metadata of the records (such as CREATED_DATE, MODIFIED_DATE and SERVER_MODIFIED_DATE) are stored as GMT time.
However, when you view the metadata in Data Feeds (eg: JSON, XML), they will be converted to the server time zone settings. If the time zone settings change, the metadata will also be converted to the new time zone like Date-Time element.